Sunday, January 4, 2015

A New Taste

by lead pastor John Tanner

We come to the end of another holiday season. I’ve really enjoyed the festivities, but “all good things must come to an end”, as they say, including this season of overindulgence. It seems like all I’ve done over the past few weeks is eat. Consequently, I stepped on the scales at the doctor’s office the other day and let’s just say I’ve set a personal record. Hey, I’m making up for lost time. I was painfully thin as a child.

I mentioned during one of my recent messages that I didn’t care for the sausage balls my dad cooked every Christmas morning. That was just one example of overall pattern. I was a very picky eater. I had a long list of foods I didn’t care for and a strong psychological aversion to trying anything new. I remember one time when my sister tried to trick me into trying macaroni and cheese (what kid doesn’t like that?). She asked me to close my eyes and open my mouth because she had a “surprise” for me. When I refused, she told me it was ice cream and I reluctantly acquiesced. Within a couple of seconds she had a face full of macaroni and cheese. I don’t think she ever tried that trick again.

Let’s just say I’m over that now. I realize in hindsight how much I missed out on (not just food, by the way) because of my combination of fear and stubbornness. As we move into a new year, it’s a great time to try some new things. During this season when many of us will be restricting our food intake, I encourage you to expand your spiritual diet. A balanced spiritual diet includes basics such as daily prayer, scripture reading and meditation, public and private worship, smaller group fellowship, consistent giving and service. For those who have already established the basics, consider trying some new disciplines such as journaling or fasting.

Unlike our holiday feasting, I doubt any of us will have a feeling of regret after indulging in some new spiritual foods.
Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. – Psalm 34:8
Bon appétit!


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog! As with many instances throughout the last few years, now is the time to improvise and adapt new ways to celebrate festivals. While we may not be able to engage in person due to COVID, there’s no reason to let COVID-19 to stole our Christmas party! There are lots of virtual ways to celebrate Christmas with remote colleagues. We have Virtual Games for Christmas Party to add joy to your Xmas party 2021.

    ReplyDelete