Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Holy Night

But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.  Luke 2:19
It was Christmas Eve, approximately 23 years ago.  Our house was decorated and our traditional Christmas Eve preparations were ready for our family and friends that had been gathering at our home for the past 20 years.  That was a miracle! 

Both of our sons were home from college and it just happened that our youngest had no plans, so I suggested we go to our church for the Christmas Eve service.  I knew this year’s service was going to be different - it was “come and go” as a family.  We arrived at the church and entered the sanctuary that had been our church home since Charles was 2 years old.  It was as comfortable to us as our living room - the Chrismon tree (a Christmas tree decorated with ornaments of Christian symbols) was glowing and soft music was playing.  We sat together on a pew and mediated and offered our love and thanks. 

Together we approached the altar for communion.  Our pastor was such a dear, holy man.  As we knelt, he approached us and placed his hands on our shoulders and prayed the most beautiful and heartfelt prayer.  He then offered us the bread and the cup.  As I knelt there, I had a holy connection with Mary and sensed the love that she had for her son Jesus was very much like what I had for my two sons.  I treasured having this holy moment with my youngest.  Each of my senses was touched that evening, along with my heart. 

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love!

Sandra Jones and her husband Ralph have been attending Cove Church since 2002. She has served in many areas over the past 12 years, including Student Ministry, First Impressions, and Women’s Ministry.  She is also a delegate to the United Methodist Annual Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment