Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Around The Table

by Darin Miller, Family Ministries Pastor

Throughout the history of the Hebrew people, different festivals have continued to mark special occasions. Jesus regularly celebrated these feasts during his ministry. In fact, his first miracle happened at a wedding celebration in Cana. At that wedding Jesus turned water into wine and people commented that the wine tasted “choice” (John 2:1-12). The host was commended for not giving the guests the “cheap stuff.” It sounds like Jesus really knew how to make some good wine! Later in his ministry, Jesus took seven loaves and a few small fish and multiplied them to feed a multitude that had come to hear his teaching. Mark tells us that “The people ate and were satisfied” (8:8). I can only imagine how those fish sandwiches tasted.

I’m glad that Jesus knew how to celebrate with food and drink, because I’m a big fan of eating. I’m not a “picky” eater, though I do have favorites. The one that is like no other is my mom’s shrimp gumbo. It’s homemade from a roux with okra and poured over rice. The recipe has been passed down through several generations. (And never written down, I might add.) My mouth is watering just thinking about it. But as good as that gumbo is, I think there is more to the deliciousness than meets the taste bud.

Jesus shared meals with many people while he walked the Earth. But the most significant meals recorded in the Bible were those shared with his closest friends and family. There is something special about a meal shared with loved ones; it just makes things taste…better. In the case of my mom’s gumbo, we are always eating it around a table with my mom and dad, Leah and my kids, my brother and his children, my grandmother, and others. The taste of the food in my mouth is half the story. The rest is the love in my heart for the people around the table. The two just go together.

There is something truly special about a shared meal with loved ones and time to sit, talk, and laugh, celebrating with people created in God’s image. It can be around a Christmas meal of any flavor. For some families, it’s ham; for others it’s turkey and dressing, or something else special to their family. Whatever the flavor, the best part of the meal is always what happens within our hearts. Of course, I’ll take mine with a big bowl of shrimp gumbo.

Darin Miller has been a part of the Cove Church staff since 2003.  He served for many years as the Director of Student Ministry and is currently the Family Ministries Pastor, providing guidance for areas including missions and student ministry. He and his wife Leah have three sons, and Darin is making sure they grow up loving gumbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment