Thursday, December 18, 2014

Smells of Christmas

by JD Blankenship, Cove C-Group leader

For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other an aroma that brings life.  - 2 Corinthians 2:15-16

Good food is a central part of my life.   After a once in a lifetime vacation, I am more likely to recall the signature meal than the main event itself.  If I were invited to dinner at the White House, I would probably cast my vote based more on my taste buds than my politics.

It follows that the fragrances of food that accompany Christmas always make an impression on me. The smell of Mom’s pumpkin cake and Granny’s sweet potatoes quickly lift my spirits to a place of comfort and joy.  To me, these aromas are life.  To others, however, the feelings are not so calming.

Our mixed-breed dog, Sadie, has some wonderful qualities. She loves to have her belly scratched and licks you whenever she has a chance. Some traits, however, are not so endearing.  She bangs on the door of her room when it storms and has even jumped through a screen window when I sprayed the house for ants. Baking at high temperatures will elicit similar responses.  Some “blackened” food once set off the fire alarm and prompted Sadie to find the nearest exit.  She pushed the door open and bolted for a less frightening home.  So now, every time the temperature begins to climb in the oven, the familiar scent that ignites my joy results in Sadie having a panic attack.  “To the one … an aroma that brings life. To the other an aroma that brings death.” 

Just as I pursue the smell of the oven that fills our home, more than ever, I am being drawn to the aroma of Christ that permeates every aspect of a Christ- follower’s being.  Christ is full of grace and truth. Like Sadie and the oven, the world has concluded that the smell exuded by a Christian leads to death, when in fact, the scent they are encountering is a marker of the life they desperately need.  My desire is that Christ so richly dwells in me that His nature creates an aroma that is not only distinct but also appealing. When people encounter me, do they panic and run for cover, or do they want to move forward in hopes of a taste of the life-giving food that Christ offers?

JD and his wife Janet have been married for 20 years.  In addition to Sadie, their family includes four two-legged children.  JD is a C-group leader at Cove Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment