Tuesday, December 16, 2014

It's the Little Things

by Richard Williams, Chase C-group leader & tech guru
If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be?  - 1 Corinthians 12:17

Looking back on my life, no sense brings back memories like the smells from Christmas. Of course, in every Yule Tide season, smell has to struggle with the other senses to be noticed. A dazzling wheel of colored light projected onto an aluminum tree, a nippy Christmas morning that stings the nose and leaves it runny, a rousing Mormon Tabernacle Choir carol played at full volume on our home entertainment system, and the sweet, sweet taste of chocolate-cherry cordials stolen from the kitchen for weeks before – these are the rivals that seek to steal my attention every time the nativity scene is rolled out for display.

But, while the other four senses get all the credit, my nose has excelled at gaining my real attention. One whiff and I’m transported to my past, from childhood to father, from wearing diapers to changing them. Nothing comes close to its range, from the subtle hint of food in the kitchen to the eye-watering reality of cheap cologne packaged in glass cars that my grandmother gave every year. Indeed, smell has left big footprints in my life.

But of all my Christmas memories there’s one that’s dear to my heart. It’s a recent memory, shared by all my family. Five years ago, at the last possible moment, my wife and I decided the family needed a dog. In the eleventh hour, we scoured the internet, searching for small cute dogs that don’t set allergies aflame. Within hours we had chosen a breeder, received pictures of the recent litter, used PayPal to close the deal on our choice, and arranged for my wife to meet the owner halfway between Chattanooga and Knoxville for delivery. After years of begging for a family pet, we surprised our children with a tiny puppy just days before Christmas. I still remember how excited they were on seeing him and how quickly he became one of us.

On that first encounter, this little creature, so tiny and scared, did something that touched my heart. He licked me on the nose. And in that moment, the smell of puppy’s breath was indelibly etched on my heart. That smell, offensive to some and sought by others, became my most treasured Christmas sensual memory. This was something not plastic, not bottled in glass, not cooked or canned. It didn’t need 2 minutes in the microwave, nor shaking and stirring for 5; it was simple and loving and from one of God’s creatures. And I realized how marvelous our God is to remind us of the things we can miss as we rush through each Christmas with our mind on our lists.

Our dog Buck is still with us and loved. And our whole family still says he was the best present ever! Until we’re reminded of the first Christmas gift, with His humble beginnings to His crucifixion because of His deep love for us all. And often I wonder how sweet His breath must have been.

Richard Williams has been a member of Cove Church since 2004 when he and his wife Deborah were moved by God’s Spirit to join.  They and their three children are now all active members of Cove Church @ Chase.  Richard is a C-group leader and also serves in Worship Ministry as the video team leader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment